[related title=”More episodes of Fast Talk” align=”right” tag=”Fast-Talk-podcast”]
The VeloNews Fast Talk podcast is your source for the best advice and most interesting insight on what it takes to become a better cyclist. Listen in as VeloNews columnist Trevor Connor and editor Caley Fretz discuss a range of topics, including training, physiology, technology, and more.
Taking time off can feel strange, but it’s absolutely necessary. Why do you need an off-season? Can’t you just keep riding? We sit down with Dr. Andy Pruitt to discuss the physiological and psychological needs of athletes, and how an off-season is crucial to meeting those needs.
Fast Talk is available on all your favorite podcast services, including iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, and Soundcloud. If you enjoy the podcast, please consider taking a moment to rate and comment on iTunes after listening. Also, check out the VeloNews Cycling Podcast, our weekly discussion of the sport’s hottest topics, trends, and controversies.
1. Mujika, I. and S. Padilla, Muscular characteristics of detraining in humans. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2001. 33(8): p. 1297-303.
2. St-Amand, J., et al., Effects of mild-exercise training cessation in human skeletal muscle. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2012. 112(3): p. 853-69.
3. Tanaka, H., Effects of cross-training. Transfer of training effects on VO2max between cycling, running and swimming. Sports Med, 1994. 18(5): p. 330-9.
4. Ronnestad, B.R., A. Askestad, and J. Hansen, HIT maintains performance during the transition period and improves next season performance in well-trained cyclists. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2014. 114(9): p. 1831-9.
5. Issurin, V.B., Training transfer: scientific background and insights for practical application. Sports Med, 2013. 43(8): p. 675-94.
6. Barry, D.W. and W.M. Kohrt, BMD decreases over the course of a year in competitive male cyclists. J Bone Miner Res, 2008. 23(4): p. 484-91.
7. Mojock, C.D., et al., Comparisons of Bone Mineral Density Between Recreational and Trained Male Road Cyclists. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, 2016. 26(2): p. 152-156.