The Green Mountain Stage Race beat the rain. Mostly.
- 1. Tom Zirbel, Jamis/sutter Home, in 5:15:40
- 2. Anders Newbury, Chipotle Development Team, at 0:00:54
- 3. Jamey Driscoll, Jamis/sutter Home, at 0:01:01
- 4. Derrick St John, Ride With Rendall, at 0:01:14
- 5. Josh Dillon, Bikereg.com / Cannondale, at 0:01:17
- 1. Véronique Fortin, Rocky Moutain-Desjardins Valeurs Mobilieres, in 6:42:00
- 2. Susan Palmer-Komar, P-K Express/hnz Strategic.com, at 0:00:46
- 3. Kacy Wander,, at 0:01:30
- 4. Rachel Warner, Missing Link Coaching/specialized, at 0:02:00
- 5. Fabienne Gerard, Crca/fuoriclasse Racing-Discover Chiropractic, at 0:02:11
It’s not often that a non-NRC event gets top billing in this column, but with Hurricane Irene ravaging the Northeast, the Green Mountain Stage Race is going on, albeit with changes this weekend. Further south, the National Racing Calendar rolls toward its October conclusion with the Labor Day Omnium in Anderson, South Carolina.
Megan Guarnier breaks up the PB & Co. jam to win the final stage in Burlington, while the Keough brothers fill two-thirds of the men's stage podium.
- 1. Jeremy Powers in 7:09:33, Jelly Belly P/B Kenda
- 2. Timothy Johnson, at 0:02:04 UnitedHealthcare pb Maxxis
- 3. Gavin Mannion, at 0:02:07 Trek-Livestrong Presented by RadioShack
- 4. Jamey Driscoll, at 0:02:28 Jamis/Sutter Home Professional Cycling
- 5. Cameron Cogburn, at 0:02:35 CCB/Wheelworks
Smarting from missed TT start, David Veilleux makes the Green Mountain Stage Race's queen stage his own. Jeremy Powers keeps the leader's jersey in the (VeloNews.com) family and Ireland's Olivia Dillon soloes to the women's stage win.
- 1. David Veilleux, in 2:59:51 Kelly Benefit Strategies
- 2. Jeremy Powers, at 0:00:07 Jelly Belly P/B Kenda
- 3. William Dugan, at 0:00:54 Team Type 1
- 4. Will Routley, at 0:02:26 Jelly Belly Presented by
- 5. Jamey Driscoll, at 0:02:34 Jamis/Sutter Home Professional Cycling
Kelly Benefit Strategies goes 1-2 at the Vermont stage race, while Ted King retains the overall lead. Janel Holcomb (Team Danbury Audi/Cyfac) wins the women's stage.
- 1. Reid Mumford, Kelly Benefit Strategies, in 2:49:33
- 2. David Veilleux, Kelly Benefit Strategies, at 0:00:00
- 3. Timothy Johnson, UnitedHealthcare-Maxxis, at 0:00:00
- 4. Jean-Michel Lachance, Nativo/pg/devinci, at s.t.
- 5. Gavin Mannion, Trek-Livestrong, at 0:00:00
VeloNews.com diarist Ted King sets a course record in the individual time trial.
The Gateway Cup in St. Louis, the Green Mountain Stage Race in Vermont and the Steamboat Springs Stage Race in Colorado highlight the Labor Day weekend.