STATELINE, Nevada (VN) – Christian Vande Velde said he went through a range of emotions Friday after learning of the leak to French publication L’Equipe of the UCI’s suspicious riders list from the 2010 Tour de France.
Speaking as a guest on the new, interactive web show, “VeloLive,” Vande Velde said that he felt mixed emotions on the leak.
“I’m happy that they do have some kind of system in place, but I’m quite upset that that would ever be public,” he said, “because the public doesn’t know how to perceive what they’re thinking and why they do this.”
The veteran of eight Tours de France said that when looking at a large-scale catalog like the leaked UCI list, they do not know about issues like recent crashes. “Or someone who has had a high hematocrit since they were 16 years old like myself, why that?” said Vande Velde. “Then if someobdy’s had a crash or been at altitude or this or this or that. My grandma doesn’t know that when she reads it. It’s horrible that it’s public.”
Vande Velde abandoned the Tour following stage 2, before officials compiled the suspicions list last year.
When asked Friday about the UCI list, Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack), rated a four, said that he didn’t think it was fair to expect riders to comment on such a difficult topic. “I don’t think it’s appropriate for one individual rider to comment on that,” said Leipheimer. “The riders’ union should comment.”
The Association for Professional Cyclists distributed a statement Friday saying that the organization had sent a letter to the UCI requesting explanation for the leak and planned to follow with legal action against L’Equipe.
“The CPA will also take legal action against the famous French newspaper that published an article which violates the basic principles of protection and respect for the dignity of the person,” read the statement.