By VeloNews Interactive
Sunday, the second day at Australia’s five-day Tour de Snowy offered a bit of a repeat of the first: a two stage day, marked again by the dominance of the Saturn women’s team and by Anna Millward in particular.
The morning kicked off with a very short 35.9km stage from Jindabyne to Thredbo. Despite a series of breakaway attempts, the Saturn squad kept reign on the field and reeled in the final attackers with just a kilometer to go. Again, the stage was set for a Saturn-led field sprint and the team followed its script as written: Millward scooted home to take her third successive stage in this year’s Tour.
Another stage, another Saturn winAnother short rest and another stage. On Sunday afternoon, the 68-rider field took off for another brief, but hotly contested stage, this time a 35.2km circuit race around Thredbo. The 4.4km circuit nonetheless offered enough a challenge with a brief, but steep climb up Thredbo’s Banjo Drive.Past the midway point, attacks started and, as has been the case all weekend, Saturn took control of the situation and reeled in anyone hoping to escape. As the peloton neared the final kilometers, Saturn’s Anke Erlank moved to the front ready to leadout Millward for her fourth straight win. But the Australian appeared to be in a generous mood and simply sat up as the young South African rolled across the line, two seconds ahead of — who else? — Millward, who maintained a 55-second lead over Erlank in the overall standings and 58 seconds over reigning world road champion, Zinaida Stahurskaia (GAS Sport).
Tour de Snowy, Stage 3. Jindabyne to Thredbo
1. Anna Millward (Aus), Saturn, 35.9km in 1:04:59 (33.1kph)
2. Mirjam Melchers (Nl), Acca Due O-HP
3. Kate Bates (Aus), NSWIS-Trek
4. Sara Carrigan (Aus), Australian Institute of Sport
5. Mari Holden (USA), Alfa Lum-RSM
6. Zinaida Stahurskaia (B), Gas Sport
7. Haley Rutherford (Aus), Australian Institute of Sport
8. Bridget Evans (Aus), Bicisport
9. Sigrid Corneo (I), Capre Diem-Itera
10. Tatiana Stiajkina (Ukr), Alfa Lum-RSM
11. Rosalind Reekie-May (NZ), New Zealand
12. Pam Shuster (USA), Autotrader.Com
13. Lara Ruthven (USA), Capre Diem-Itera
14. Katie Mactier (Aus), Jayco VIS
15. Jennifer Manefield (Aus), Bicisport
16. Margaret Hemsley (Aus), Australian Institute of Sport
17. Melissa Holt (NZ), New Zealand National
18. Kym Shirley (Aus), Australian Institute of Sport
19. Olivia Gollan (Aus), NSWIS-Trek
20. Roberta Bonanomi (I), Gas Sport, all s.t.
Overall after three stages
1. Millward, 3:25:15;
2. Melchers, at 0:42
3. Carrigan, at 0:43
4. Holden, at 0:51
5. Stahurskaia, at 0:53
Stage 4, Thredbo circuit race
1. Erlank, 35.2km in 1:00:21 (35kph) (RSA), Saturn 1.00.21 (35.0 km/h)
2. Millward, at 0:02
5. Rosalind Reekie-May (NZ), New Zealand, all s.t.
Overall after four stages:
1. Millward, 4:25:23
2. Erlank, at 0:55
3. Stahurskaia, at 0:58
4. Melchers, at 1:05
5. Carrigan, 1:06