By VeloNews Interactive
Burke Swindlehurst (Navigators) and Brooke Ourada (Victory Brewing) were fastest out of the gate on Friday as the 26th La Vuelta de Bisbee got under way in southern Arizona.
The four-stage NRC event kicked off with the Mule Pass Individual Time Trial, a 2.8-mile grinder with 837 feet of elevation gain that wound through the center street in this small desert town and up the switchbacks of Tombstone Canyon. A head wind blasted the opening mile and a half, enhancing the difficulty of the climb.
Swindlehurst covered the course in 10:01, just three seconds faster than Jacob Erker (Team Seasilver) and a further two seconds up on Davide Frattini (Team Monex). Last year’s overall winner, Drew Miller (Landis-Trek-VW) was fourth, 12 seconds off the pace.
Ourada, meanwhile, crossed the line in 11:47, followed seven seconds later by Lynn Gaggioli (T-Mobile). Sandy Espeseth (Victory Brewing) rounded out the top three at 37 seconds back.
Saturday brings a double-stage day, starting with the Sulphur Springs Road Race (79.3 miles for the men, half that for the women) and wrapping up with the 8.3-mile Warren Time Trial in the afternoon.
La Vuelta de Bisbee
Mule Pass ITT
1. Burke Swindlehurst, Navigators, 10:01
2. Jacob Erker, Team Seasilver, at 0:03
3. Davide Frattini, Team Monex, at 0:05
4. Drew Miller, Landis-Trek-VW, at 0:12
5. John Hunt, at 0:14
6. Dylan Sybel, Symc, at 0:16
7. Mike Dietrich, Fiordifruitta, at 0:24
8. Peter Fairbanks, s.t.
9. Scott Blanchard, Eclipse Racing, at 0:25
10. Michael Lange, at 0:26
1. Brooke Ourada, Victory Brewing, 11:47
2. Lynn Gaggioli, , T-Mobile, at 0:07
3. Sandy Espeseth, Victory Brewing, at 0:37
4. Maatje Benassi, Excel Sports, at 0:42
5. Heather Woodhouse, Kenda Tire, at 0:50
6. Suz Weldon, Tamarac-Goldy’s, at 0:52
7. Johanna Buick, Victory Brewing, at 0:53
8. Chrissy Ruiter, Team Basis, at 0:54
9. Kristin Johnson, Team Basis, at 0:55
10. Carolyn Donnelly, Landis-Trek-VW, s.t.