In a battle of the cycling nicknames, “Samu” edged “Purito” to win the 175km opening stage at the Vuelta a Burgos in northern Spain on Wednesday.
Olympic champion Samuel Sánchez (Euskaltel-Euskadi) came off the wheel of Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha) to claim victory to open the five-day Burgos tour.
Crossing the line third at four seconds back was Sergio Pardilla (Movistar), with Denis Menchov (Geox-TMC) right on his wheel for fourth. Both Movistar and Geox had three riders each in the top-10 on the stage that ended with a short uphill kicker.
The victory puts the recently crowned Tour de France King of the Mountains into the leader’s jersey and counts as Sánchez’s fourth win on the 2011 season.
The 33rd Burgos tour continues Thursday with the 144km second stage starting and finishing in Burgos. The course features two passages up a short but steep third-category climb at the castle overlooking central Burgos.
- 1. Samuel SANCHEZ, (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi, in 3:51:07
- 2. Joaquim RODRIGUEZ, (ESP) Team Katusha, at 0
- 3. Sergio PARDILLA BELLON, (ESP) Movistar, at 4
- 4. Denis MENCHOV, (RUS) Geox-Tmc, at 4
- 5. David LOPEZ GARCIA, (ESP) Movistar, at 4
- 1. Samuel SANCHEZ GONZALEZ, (Spain) Euskaltel-Euskadi, at
- 2. Joaquin RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, (Spain) Team Katusha, at 0
- 3. Sergio PARDILLA BELLON, (Spain) Movistar, at 4
- 4. Denis MENCHOV, (Russia) Geox-Tmc, at 4
- 5. David LOPEZ GARCIA, (Spain) Movistar, at 4