The Spanish sports daily AS is reporting that Spanish authorities on Tuesday will clear Alberto Contador of doping allegations stemming from a positive test at last year’s Tour de France.
The newspaper reported on its web site Monday that the “comité de competición” of the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC) had decided to absolve Contador of his doping positive after 50 picograms of the banned substane clenbuterol were found in samples taken during the Tour’s second rest day.
What’s next in Contador case?
2010 Tour de France results
Past winners of the Tour de France
All related stories
The report says that Contador will be informed Tuesday that doping charges will be dropped. Without a ban, Contador would be allowed to keep his 2010 Tour victory.
According to the report, the committee is still finalizing the wording of its ruling, which reverses its previous proposal of a one-year ban for the Spanish rider and the disqualification of the 2010 Tour.
If true, Contador could return immediately to competition and perhaps could line up at the Volta ao Algarve, which begins Wednesday in southern Portugal.
Both the UCI and the World Anti-Doping Agency would have up to one month to notify whether or not the intend to appeal any verdict by the Spanish cycling federation.
The AS report also says that one member of the four-member committee, Carmen Victoria López Muñoz, recommended a one-year ban for Contador and cited language in the WADA code that states that athletes are responsible for any illegal substance found in their systems.
It reports that the other three members — Fernando Uruburu, Javier Leguina and Juan Ignacio Sobrino — worked over the weekend to consider further evidence and have bought into the argument that it was accidental contamination.
No one from the Spanish cycling federation or representatives of Contador were available for comment Monday evening in Spain.