Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By VeloNews Interactive wire services, , Copyright AFP2001
A tough day with five rated climbs at the Tour de l’Aude ended Thursday with another win for the UCI’s current number 1 rider and World Cup leader, Anna Millward.
Millward riding for the Australian National team sprinted past Canada’s Lynne Bessette to earn her third stage win at this year’s Tour de l’Aude, France’s major stage race for women. Bessette and Millward usually ride on the same Saturn cycling team, but are representing their respective national squads at the French race.
The began with a break by Autotrader.com’s Sarah Ulmer who took off from the main field some 90km from the finish. Ulmer stayed off until about 10km from the finish, by which time the main field had been reduced to only 19 riders.
With an uphill finish ahead several riders attempted to break off the front, but most of those efforts were quickly neutralized. A final group of three was reeled in about 1.5km from the finish and Millward timed her move perfectly, scooting past Bessette in the last 50 meters.
Stage 6 – CASTELNAUDARY to CASTELNAUDARY,
1. Anna Millward (Aus), Australian National, 118km in 3:22:34;
2. Lynne Bessette (Can), Canadian National;
3. Julie Young (USA), AutoTrader.com;
4. Olga Slioussareva (Rus), Carpi Diem – Itera;
5. Susanne Ljungskog (Swe), Vlaanderen, all s.t.
Overall after six stages:
1. Edita Pucinskaite (Lit), Alfa Lum 16h38:51;
2. Lyne Bessette (Can), Canadian National, at 51 secs.
3. Judith Arndt (G), German National, at 2:14;
4. Olga Slioussareva (Rus), Carpi Diem – Itera, at 4:12;
5. Susanne Ljungskog (Swe), Vlaanderen, at 4:20;
6. Chantal Beltman (Nl), Dutch National, at 5:21;
7. Sandra Wampler (Swi), C.A Mantes la Ville 78, at 5:34;
8. Olga Zabelinskaia (Rus), Carpi Diem – Itera, at 6:13;
9. Cybil di Guistini (Can), C.A Mantes la Ville 78, at 7:19;
10. Fany Lecourtois (F), Alfa Lum, at 7:33.