By VeloNews Interactive, Copyright AFP2001
Australian Robbie McEwen (Domo) took the second stage of the 28th Mediterranean Tour on Thursday, finishing the 139km stage between La Garde and La Seyne by outsprinting Estonian Jaan Kirsipuu and France’s Damien Nazon. Fassa Bortolo’s Ivan Basso maintains his lead over Liquigas’s Davide Rebellin in the overall standings.
The finishing sprint was marked by serious crash in which Basso’s teammate, Alessandro Pettacchi suffered a broken collarbone.
1. Robbie McEwen (Aus), 139.8 km in 3:13:47;
2. Jaan Kirsipuu (Est);
3. Damien Nazon (F);
4. Zoran Clemencic (Slo);
5. Stefano Zanini (I);
6. Fabbio Sacchi (I);
7. Jimmy Casper (F);
8. Laurent Brochard (F);
9. François Simon (F);
10. Janek Tombak (Est), all s.t.
Overall after 2 stages:
1. Ivan Basso (I), = 279,80 km in 6:07:02;
2. Davide Rebellin (I), at 0:04.
3. David Moncoutie (F), at 0:12.
4. Laurent Brochard (F), 0:27;
5. Francisco Mancebo (Sp), 0:30;
6. Patrick Jonker (Nl), 0:40;
7. Mirko Celestino (I), 0:43.
8. Beat Zberg (Swi), s.t.;
9. Markus Zberg (Swi), at 1:01;
10. Sebastien Demarbaix (B), at 1:05.