By Staff and wire reports
Spanish rider Manuel Lloret (Comunitat Valenciana) grabbed the first win of his career in the second stage of Spain’s Ruta del Sol on Monday.
Lloret won in a long breakaway, slipping away from Santos González Capilla (3 Molinos Resort) to win the 157km stage from La Guardia to Jaénin 3:48:19, while the main bunch came through more than six minutes slower. Despite the margin, the breakaway was no threat to the contenders for the overall. Carlos García Quesada (Unibet.com) collected the leader’s jersey from brother Adolfo García Quesada (Andalucía-Paul Versan), who slipped to third overall as Rodrigo García (Kaiku) moved into second on GC.
The García Quesada brothers finished one-two in Sunday’s opener, a 161.4km stage from Antequera to Otura Santa Clara Golf, crossing ahead of Añaki Isasi (Euskaltel), who proved fastest of a five-man chase 11 seconds later.
The race continues Tuesday with the 174.1km third stage from Cabra to Córdoba, which includes two Cat. 3 climbs and is the longest stage of this year’s race.
1. Manuel Lloret (Sp), Comunitat Valenciana, 157.2km in 3:48:19
2. Santos Gonzáles Capilla (Sp), 3 Molinos Resort, at 0:04
3. Manuel Calvente (Sp), Agritubel, at 1:28
4. Jesus del Nero (Sp), 3 Molinos Resort, s.t.
5. José Luis Martinez (Sp), Comunitat Valenciana, at 1:30
6. José Maria Almagro (Sp), Relax, s.t.
7. Manuel Beltran (Sp), Discovery Channel, at 1:32
8. Juan Carlos Dominguez (Sp), Unibet, at 1:33
9. Anton Luengo (Sp), Euskaltel, at 1:35
10. Marco Velo (I), Milram, at 5:29
Overall (after two stages)
1. Carlos Garcia Quesada (Sp), Unibet, 8:18:04
2. Rodrigo Garcia Rena (Sp), Kaiku, s.t.
3. Adolfo Garcia Quesada (Sp), Andalucia-Paul Versan, s.t.
4. Inaki Isasi (Sp), Euskaltel, at 0:11
5. Luis Pasamontes (Sp), Unibet, s.t.
6. Oliver Zaugg (Swi), Saunier Duval, s.t.
7. José Adrian Bonilla (Sp), Comunitat Valenciana, s.t.
8. Manuel Lloret (Sp), Comunitat Valenciana, at 25:50
9. Santos Capilla (Sp), 3 Molinos Resort, at 25:54
10. Jesus del Nero (Sp), 3 Molinos Resort, at 27:18