By VeloNews Interactive
Mike Jones (Health Net-Maxxis) and Laura Charameda (McGuire Cycling) won the McLane Pacific Cycling Classic Downtown Grand Prix on Saturday.
The race was run on a flat, fast, 0.8-mile loop in downtown Merced, California.
In the men’s race, Jones soloed to victory ahead of Jackson Stewart (Kodakgallery.com-Sierra Nevada) and Mark McCormack (Colavita Olive Oil-Sutter Home).
It was a good day for Health Net, which put four riders into the top 10, including last year’s winner, Gord Fraser. The new Toyota-United Pro squad was right behind them, with three of the top 10, including Juan Jose Haedo, winner of two stages in the recently concluded Amgen Tour of California.
In the women’s event, Charameda beat Laura Yoisten (Victory Brewing) and Christina Becker (T-Mobile).
Sunday brings the Foothills Road Race. Elite men race 120 miles on a rolling, 24-mile circuit while women race 72.
1. Mike Jones, Health Net-Maxxis
2. Jackson Stewart, Kodakgallery.com-Sierra Nevada
3. Mark McCormack, Colavita Olive Oil-Sutter Home
4. Juan Jose Haedo, Toyota-United Pro
5. Gordon Fraser, Health Net-Maxxis
6. Karl Menzies, Health Net-Maxxis
7. Mike Sayers, Health Net-Maxxis
8. Ivan Dominguez, Toyota-United Pro
9. Viktor Rapinski, Colavita Olive Oil-Sutter Home
10. Tony Cruz, Toyota-United Pro
1. Laura Charameda, McGuire Cycling
2. Laura Yoisten, Victory Brewing
3. Christina Becker, T-Mobile
4. Brenda Lyons, Victory Brewing
5. Laura Van Gilder, Team Lipton
6. Nicky Wangsgard ,Colnago Pro
7. Lara Kroepsch, Team Lipton
8. Nicole Freedman, Velo Bella-Kona
9. Gina Voci, Cheerwine
10. Alena Hetsman, Third Pillar Racing