Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By Steve Bohn, Special to VeloNews
At the16th running of the Tucson Bicycle Classic, Canadian Olympian Genevieve Jeanson again showed the form that has made her a dominant force in 2001.
Jeanson (RONA) easily won all three stages, plus the overall, at the race run April 6-8. Her time of 5:11.41 in the stage 1 time trail bested the previous record by 10 seconds, her nearest rival by 36 seconds, and would have been good enough for second place in the Pro-1/2 men’s field.
“I felt good,” Jeanson said. “The changes in rhythm were hard, the climb was not steady, but I went as hard as I could. I liked the course.”
Stage 2 was the 63-mile Gates road race, which featured three laps around the 21-mile course. In a repeat performance of the Redlands Classic, Jeanson attacked just beyond the 3-mile neutral zone and never looked back, building a better-than 3-minute lead by the end of the first lap.
Riding solo for nearly 60 miles in light winds, she averaged over 24 mph, finishing 10:03 ahead of her nearest pursuer.
The final day was more of the same, as Jeanson crushed the field in the Ordinary Bikes 45-mile circuit race.
“The race was very active (but the break attempts) did not work out, so after that I just went on my own,” said Jeanson, who went on to win by 6:40.
In the men’s race, Scot Price (Landis/Trek-VW) took two of three stages and captured the overall GC by 38 seconds over Scott Blanchard.
TUCSON BICYCLE CLASSIC, April 6-8, Tucson, AZ
Stage 1: Starr Pass time trail
1. Genevieve Jeanson (RONA), 2.1mi in 5:11.41
2. Gabriela Gonzalez de Ferrat (RONA), at 35.59
3. Amy Vinik (Mt. Velo/Supergo), at 36.38
4. Manon Jutras (RONA), at 37.74
5. Rebecca Cooke (Landis/Trek-VW), at 38.24
Stage 2: Gates Pass road race
1. Jeanson, 63mi in 2:37:18
2. de Ferrat, at 10:03
3. Vink, at 10:21
4. Jutras, at 11:03
5. Amy Williams (Ochsner), at 12:21
Stage 3: Ordinary Bikes circuit race
1. Jeanson, 45mi in 1:57:24
2. Emily Gloeckner, at 6:40
3. Deborah Durand
4. Rebecca Cooke
5. de Ferrat, all same time
1. Jeanson, 4:39:08
2. de Ferrat, at 17:49
3. Vinik, at 18:17
4. Manon, at 19:36
5. Tamara House-Williamson (Harbour Lights), at 20:48
Stage 1: Starr Pass time trial
1. Scot Price (Landis/Trek-VW) 2.1mi in 5:04.60
2. Scott Blanchard, at :07.64
3. Jimmy Riccitello, at :09.78
4. Drew Miller (Landis/Trek-VW), at :09.87
5. Eric Pardyjak (Ochsner), at :10.17
Gates Pass road race
1. Jacob Rubelt (Giant/Domenics), 105mi in 4:17:54
2. Andy Wilson (Helens/Trek-VW)
5. Alexander Pullen (Bargain Basement Bikes) all same time
Ordinary Bikes circuit race
1. Price, 56mi in 2:10:50
2. Haldane Morris
3. Andy Wilson
4. Thomas Idzorek (RPM)
5. David Herbold (Giant/Domenics), all same time
1. Price, 6:33:18
2. Blanchard, at :38
3. Wilson, at :38
4. Riccitello, at :40
5. Miller, at :40