By Agence France Presse
Rein Taaramae (Cofidis) won the final stage of the four-day Tour de l’Ain on Wednesday, snatching overall victory from Astana’s Chris Horner.
Taaramae rode off to stage victory on the summit of the Grande Colombiere climb to finish ahead of teammates David Moncoutie and Damien Monier.
Horner had started the 128.2km fourth stage in Belley with a 22-second lead on Taaramae but the American failed to defend his lead, finishing 37-seconds behind his Estonian rival on the stage.
The Tour de l’Ain was notable this year for the return of Kazakh cycling star Alexander Vinokourov, who was competing for the first time since serving a two-year ban for doping.
Vinokourov failed to impress in the general classification but took his first competitive win since 2007 with victory in a short time trial Tuesday which preceded the day’s main road race stage.
On Wednesday the 32-year-old failed to finish the stage, according to race organizers who said the Kazakh rider got off his bike before the ascent to the final summit.
1. Rein Taaramae (EST), Cofidis, 3:36:56
2. David Moncoutie (FRA) Cofidis, at 0:30
3. Damien Monier (FRA), Cofidis, at 0:34
4. Chris Horner (USA), Astana, at 0:37
5. Maxime Mederel (FRA), Auber 93, 0:39
Did Not Finish
Alexander Vinokourov (KAZ), Kazakh National
1. Rein Taaramae (EST), Cofidis, 13:03:07
2. Chris Horner (USA), Astana, at 0:25
3. David Moncoutie (FRA), Cofidis, at 0:32
4. Damien Monier (FRA), Cofidis, at 1:08
5. Sylvain Calzati (FRA), Agritubel at 1:50