Theresa Cliff-Ryan (Forno d’Asolo-Colavita) and Tim Gudsell (PureBlack Racing) won Monday’s Tour of Somerville criterium in New Jersey.
It was the first American win for Gudsell, who is the New Zealand criterium champion.
Cliff-Ryan won Somerville in 2007 and was second in 2009.
Cliff-Ryan’s teammate, Italy’s world road champion Giorgia Bronzini, was fourth on the day.
Big split in the men’s race
“With a massive field of riders and a massive crowd, races like this are always great to win”, said Gudsell.
With about 17 laps to go in the men’s race Gudsell joined a 16-man breakaway that also contained three teammates.
With two laps to go Gudsell got away in a break of four riders and when two of them didn’t want to work the break came back together.
“I kept looking for the opportunity to get away and finally went for it with half a lap to go. Giving it full gas I got enough of a gap to hold off the chasers and enjoy my win as I crossed the line,” said Gudsell.
- 1. Theresa Cliff-Ryan, Colavita/forno D’asolo P/b Coo
- 2. Laura Van Gilder, Mellow Mushroom
- 3. Lenore Pipes, Guam National Team
- 4. Giorgia BRONZINI, Colavita Forno D’asolo
- 5. Christine Fennessy, South Mountain Cycles
- 1. Timothy GUDSELL, Pure Black Racing
- 2. Karl MENZIES, Unitedhealthcare Professional
- 3. Eric Young, Uci Ct: Bissell Pro Cycling
- 4. Alejandro Borrajo, Jamis Sutter Home
- 5. Matthias FRIEDEMANN, Team Champion System