OSAKA, Japan (AFP) – The 2011 Tour of Japan has been canceled as a result of the massive earthquake and tsunami that ravaged the country’s northeast, organizers said Wednesday.
The March 11 disaster has damaged power facilities, including a suspected partial meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant. The damage to Japan’s electrical infrastructure has prompted utility officials to impose rolling blackouts across the country.
The 15th annual Tour of Japan, part of the UCI Asia Tour, was to have included seven stages starting on May 15.
Organizers noted that it has become difficult to secure necessary staff and equipment and control road traffic for the event due to power cuts which have also disrupted public transportation, organizers said.
On the web: Japan Cycling Federation
Past winners of the Tour of Japan
- 1996. Jean-Philippe Duracka (FRA), French national team
- 1997. Bart Bowen (USA), Saturn
- 1998. Frank McCormack (USA), Saturn
- 1999. Andrzej Sypytkowski (POL), Mróz
- 2000. Mauro Gianetti (SUI), Vini Caldirola-Sidermec
- 2001. Pawel Niedzwiecki (POL), Mróz-Supradyn Witaminy
- 2002. Oleksandr Klymenko (UKR), Mróz
- 2003. Canceled
- 2004. Shinichi Fukushima (JPN), Bridgestone Anchor
- 2005. Félix Cárdenas (COL), Team Barloworld-Valsir
- 2006. Vladimir Duma (UKR), C.b. Immobiliare-Universal Caffè
- 2007. Francesco Masciarelli (ITA), Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo
- 2008. Cameron Meyer (AUS), Southaustralia.com-Ais
- 2009. Sergio Pardilla (ESP), Carmiooro A Style
- 2010. Cristiano Salerno (ITA), De Rosa-Stac Plastic