By Margot Callahan
Ivan Dominguez (Colavita Olive Oil) powered to the win in the third stage of the Tour of Connecticut in Friday in New Haven, Connecticut, beating Charles Dionne (Webcor) by less than a wheel in a spectacular hour of racing. Mike Sayers (Health Net) crossed third.
The victory, Colavita’s second, kept team leader Mark McCormack in the leader’s yellow jersey going into stage four Saturday in Waterbury.
The race was fast and furious from the first lap as the 87 cyclists fought for position on the technical circuit. On the final laps a break of eight finally stuck, and race leader McCormack saw to it that Dominguez stayed on his wheel and conserved energy for the final sprint. Mike Sayers, HealthNet, presented by Maxxis was third.
Results,br>1. Ivan Dominguez (Colavita Olive Oil), 57:11
2. Charles Dionne (Webcor), same time
3. Mike Sayers (Health Net-Maxxis)
4. Danny Pate (Health Net-Maxxis)
5. Ang Sheldrake (TIAA-CREF)
6. Alexandre Nadeau (VW-Trek)
7. Jamiel Danesh (McGuire Pro Cycling Team
8. Juan Jose Haedo, Colavita Olive Oil
9. Gord Fraser (Health Net-Maxxis)
10. Shawn Milne (Fiordifrutta)