Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
MILAN (AFP) — Disgraced Italian cyclist Danilo Di Luca has been summoned to a doping hearing next week, anti-doping officials said Wednesday, which could see him banned from the sport for life.
Di Luca quit the 96th edition of the Giro d’Italia earlier this year after testing positive for the banned blood booster EPO.
The 37-year-old, who won the 2007 Giro, had previously served two bans for doping, prompting Giro chief Michele Acquarone to declare: “He needs help.”
Anti-doping officials with the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) have set Di Luca’s hearing for September 4 at their offices adjacent to the Olympic Stadium in Rome, they said Wednesday.
Di Luca’s latest brush with the sport’s officials even prompted American Lance Armstrong, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France crowns earlier this year, to react via a message on his Twitter feed.
The American wrote: “Knowing I have 0 cred on the doping issue – I still can’t help but think, ‘really Di Luca? Are you that stupid??’.”