By VeloNews Interactive — Copyright AFP2001
La Française des Jeux’s sprinter Jimmy Casper took the third stage of the Tour of the Mediterranean, a 127km race between Gréasque and Salon-de-Provence, on Friday. Casper outsprinted a tough field of top sprinters, beating Czech Jan Svorada of Lampre and AG2R’s Jaan Kirsipuu, the Estonian who lead the opening week of the 1999 Tour de France.
Ivan Basso (Fassa Bortolo) maintained his hold on the overall standings with a four-second advantage over Liquigas’s Davide Rebellin.
American David Clinger finished 8th in Friday’s bunch sprint, while Bobby Julich (Credit Agricole) holds on to 10th place in the Tour’s overall standings.
28th Tour of the Mediterranean, stage 3: Gréasque to Salon-de-Provence:
1. Jimmy Casper (F) La Française des Jeux 127km in 2:52:40;
2. Jan Svorada (Cz)
3. Jaan Kirsipuu (Est)
4. Nicola Minali (I)
5. Stuart O’Grady (Aus)
6. Marco Zanotti (I)
7. Janek Tombak (Est)
8. David Clinger (U.S.A.)
9. Zoran Clemencic (Slo)
10. François Simon (F), all s.t.
Overall after three stages:
1. Ivan Basso (I), Fassa Bortolo 408.4km in 9:19:42
2. Davide Rebellin (I), at 0:04
3. David Moncoutie (F), at 0:12
4. Laurent Brochard (F), at 0:27
5. Francisco Mancebo (Sp), at 0:30
6. Patrick Jonker (Nl), at 0:40
7. Mirko Celectino (I), at 0:43
8. Beat Zberg (Swi), at 0:53.
9. Markus Zberg (Swi), at 1:01.
10. Bobby Julich (U.S.A. ), at 1:07.