Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By VeloNews Interactive
Chris Baldwin (Toyota United) and Anne Samplonius (Team Biovail) won the first stage of the Teleperformance Tour of the Gila on Wednesday.
Baldwin, the reigning U.S. national time-trial champion, covered the Tyrone Time Trial – a 15.7-mile out-and-back course with 1070 feet of climbing – in 34:51, 40 seconds up on Scott Moninger (Health Net-Maxxis) and 1:21 on Burke Swindlehurst (Navigators).
Samplonius won in 40:33, with Kristin Armstrong (Team Lipton) second at 0:20 and Erinne Willock (Webcor) third at 0:53.
Thursday’s Stage 2, the Silver City-Mogollon Road Race, sends men off for 92 miles and 5650 feet of climbing, while women race 70 miles and climb 4530 feet.
Tour of the Gila
Tyrone Time Trial
1. Chris Baldwin, Toyota-United, 15.7mi in 34:51.80
2. Scott Moninger, Health Net-Maxxis, at 0:40
3. Burke Swindlehurst, Navigators, at 1:21
4. Gord Fraser, Health Net-Maxxis, at 1:32
5. Scott Nydam, Rio Grande-Sports Fraser, at 1:40
1. Anne Samplonius, Team Biovail, 15.7mi in 40:33.05
2. Kristin Armstrong, Team Lipton, at 0:20
3. Erinne Willock, Webcor, at 0:53
4. Jessica Phillips, Argon 18-Champion, at 1:27
5. Rachel Heal, Victory Brewing, at 1:48