(Photo Gallery below)
By Andrew Hood
Belgian rider Serge Baguet (Davitamon-Lotto) held off climbing specialistLeonardo Piepoli (Saunier Duval) to win Monday’s second stage of the Rutadel Sol in southern Spain.
Carlos García Quesada (Comunidad Valenciana) held onto the overalllead after crossing the line fourth just nine seconds slower than Baguet.Piepoli and Belgian John Vansummeren (Davitamon-Lotto) attacked early onthe climbing finish to La Zubia while Quesada and Baguet followed the aggression.
A six-man break went away early, carving out a three-minute lead onthe bunch, but Comunidad Valenciana did the work to close down the gapin the closing kilometers.
Things are looking good for García Quesada, considering the finalthree stages are relatively easy and are well-suited for the plethora ofsprinter talent in the peloton. The race continues Tuesday with the 163kmthird stage from Vegas de Genil to Jaén.Ruta del Sol (SPA 2.1), Stage 2, Antequera to La Zubia, 165.7km
1. Serge Baguet (Bel), Davitamon-Lotto 4h 24:14
2. Leonardo Piepoli (Ita), Saunier Duval +0:01
3. Johan Vansummeren (Bel), Davitamon-Lotto +0:03
4. Carlos García Quesada (Spa), C.Valenciana +0:07
5. José Luis Martínez (Spa), C.Valenciana +0:19Overall standings after two stages
1. Carlos García Quesada (Spa), C.Valenciana 8h 34:11
2. Johan Vansummeren (Bel), Davitamon-Lotto +0:36
3. Francisco Cabello (Spa), C. Valenciana +1:25
4. Daniel Moreno (Spa), Relax Fuenlabrada +2:56
5. Efrain Gutiérrez (Spa), Andalucia PV +2:58