Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
An Italian court has set an October trial date for 10 cyclists and two masseurs involved in a vast doping investigation that disrupted the 2001 Giro d’Italia.
The San Remo court had set an October 27 start date for the trial, Italian news agency ANSA said late on Wednesday. The 12 include Italian rider Stefano Zanini (Quick Step) and Czech Pavel Padrnos (U.S. Postal Service-Berry Floor), both taking part in the Tour de France.
The riders are all accused of having used drugs and doping substances and having had performance-enhancing treatments.
The charges followed a wave of police raids on hotels in the San Remo area in northwest Italy where the riders were staying during a Giro stopover in June 2001.
Tour de France officials last week wrote to Italian investigating magistrates seeking information on the alleged doping cases involving Zanini and Padrnos.
La Gazzetta dello Sport said on Thursday the two riders could now face being excluded from the Tour.
Padrnos is presently 100th on GC, at 33:38 behind overall leader Thomas Voeckler (Brioches la Boulangere). Zanini is 126th at 37:54.