By Andrew Hood
Russian Oleg Grishkine delivered a huge win for the Navigators in Sunday’s 25th GP Rennes in France. Griskhine held off Andris Naudzus (CCC Polsat) and Jeremy Hunt (Oktos) to win the first race in Europe this year for the Navs.
Griskhine’s win also serves as a repeat for the Navigators, who won GP Rennes last year with Kirk O’Bee. The 157.5km circuit course ended in a bunch sprint and the Russian scored the victory for Navigators, now on their second tour of Europe this spring.
Teammate Henk Vogels came across seventh after just missing victory in Friday’s Route Adelie. The GP Rennes was the fifth race of the French Cup series and series leader Jaan Kirsipuu (Ag2r) came across 10th to maintain his lead..
Navigators next race at Gent-Wevelgem on Wednesday and then at GP Cerami on Thursday, where the team enters that race as defending champions as well.
Results, GP Rennes(UCI 1.3)
1. Oleg Grishkine (Rus), Navigators, 157.5km in 4:12:33, (44.9 kph)
2. Andris Naudzus (Lat), CCC Polsat
3. Jeremy Hunt (GBr), Oktos
4. Angelo Furlan (I), Alessio
5. Aurélien Clerc (Swi), QuickStep-Davitamon
6. Sébastien Hinault (F), Crédit Agricole
7. Henk Vogels (Aus), Navigators;8. Bradley McGee (Aus), Fdjeux.com
9. Emmanuel Magnien (F), La Boulangère;10. Jan Kirsipuu (Est), Ag2r – all same time