By VeloNews Interactive wire services , Copyright AFP2002
Belgian Bart Wellens (Spaar-Select) easily won the third round of the Superprestige cyclo-cross series in northern Belgian city of Gavere on Sunday.
Wellens managed to escape early in the race and maintained a healthy one-minute lead throughout the hour-long ‘cross race. Wellens finished 1:22 ahead of world champion Mario de Clerq and well ahead of fellow Belgians Peter van Santvliet and Sven Nijs. Indeed, Belgians swept the top five spots on Sunday, leaving Dutchman Richard Groenendaal, who finished in sixth place along side Belgian Erwin Vervecken, as the day’s top “non-Belgian” rider.
Wellens’ win moves him from fourth to second place in the series, still lead by Nijs who took the first two rounds of the Superprestige.
The cyclo-cross schedule moves into high gear next week with the Grand Prix Frankfurt, the first round of the five-race UCI World Cup schedule.
Superprestige Cyclo-cross, Round 3
November 17, 2002, Gavere, Belgium
1. Bart Wellens (B)(Spaar-Select), in 58:16
2. Mario De Clercq (B), at 1:22
3. Peter Van Santvliet (B), at 1:49
4. Sven Nys (B), at 2:15
5. Erwin Vervecken (B), at 2:24
6. Richard Groenendaal (Nl), s.tOverall standings (after 3 of 8 rounds)
1. Sven Nys (B), Rabobank, 78 pts
2. Bart Wellens (B), 66
3. Richard Groenenedaal (Nl), 65
4. Erwin Vervecken (B), 55
5. Peter Van Santvliet (B), 47