Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By Marcel van Hoecke
Ben Berden (Saey-Descacht) won the Hooglede cyclo-cross on Saturday in Belgium, outracing Enrico Franzoi (Saeco) and Erwin Vervecken (Fidea).
A lead group of seven formed quickly after the start of the race, including Berden, Franzoi, Vervecken, MrBookmaker.com teammates Mario De Clercq and Davy Commeyne, Sven Vanthourenhout (Quick Step), and American Jonathan Page (Cervelo-Hot Tubes-Adidas-Mavic).
At midrace, Page could not match the pace of the others and began to fall back; he would eventually finish seventh. Four laps before the finish, De Clercq and Comeyne also had to let the others go.
With two laps remaining, Berden dashed off. Franzoi tried to keep up, but could not come closer than 10 meters to the charging Belgian, who scored his third victory of the season.
Sunday brings the next round of the Superprestige series in Asper-Gavere, Belgium.
Hoodlede, Belgium. November 20
1. Ben Berden (B) , Saey-Deschacht
2. Enrico Franzoi (I), Saeco
3. Erwin Vervecken (B), Fidea
4. Sven Vanthourenhout (B), Quick Step
5. Davy Commeyne (B), MrBookmaker.com
6. Mario de Clercq (B), MrBookmaker.com
7. Jonathan Page (USA), Cervelo-Hot Tubes-Adidas-Mavic
8. Christian Heule (Swi), Stevens
9. John Gadret (F), Chocolade Jacques
10. Peter Van Santvliet (B), Fidea
11. Björn Rondelez (B), Chocolade Jacques
12. Mariusz Gil (Pol)
13. Krzysztof Kuzniak (Pol)
14. Maxim Debusschere (B)
15. Christoph Roodhooft (B)
16. Dariusz Gil (Pol)
17. Tadeusz Korzeniewski (Pol)
18. Erik Myngheer (B)
19. Jo Naert (B)
20. Johan Myngheer (B)