Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
While cycling’s grand tours represent some of the best bike racing in the world, they also offer a lot of us a first-hand look at some of the best racing bikes in the world.
I spent some time at this year’s Giro d’Italia and sorting through my files, I wanted to share a look at two bikes that really caught my eye in Italy last month.
David Zabriskie’s Giro TT bike
The only rider to use Shimano electronic in every stage of the Giro, DZ’s bike is special. Due to inadequate length of the wiring harness for internal routing, the wiring is taped to the outside. This DA SL frame has the standard team paint and graphics, since Zabriskie’s “Captain America” TT bike, with special National Champion paint and graphics, blew off of his roof rack and that frame was completely destroyed.
By working with the Garmin-Slipstream team, Felt produced the special lay-up for this bike that is now also used for 2009 production DA bikes and frames.
- • Frame size: 54cm
- • Top tube length: 545mm with rear offset post
- • Head tube length: 110mm
- • Seat angle: 76 degrees with rear offset post
- • Head angle: 73 degrees
- • Chainstays: 405mm
- • Wheelbase: 990.5mm
- • Fork rake: 40mm
- • Frame: Felt UHC Nano Modular Carbon Fiber Frame with 3KP Finish and Forged Horizontal Dropouts, 1100g weight
- • Fork: Felt Bayonet 2 UHC Nano 1 piece carbon fiber, 400g
- • Headset: FSA IS-2a integrated
- • Stem/bar: Felt Bayonet 2 stem, 3t Brezza Bar
- • Bar tape: Fizik
- • Front brake: Dura-Ace 7900
- • Rear brake: Dura-Ace 7800
- • Saddle: Fizik Ares short
- • Seatpost: Felt Rear offset aero
- • Shifters: Dura-Ace Di2 electronic on brakes and extensions
- • Front derailleur: Dura-Ace Di2 electronic
- • Rear derailleur: Dura-Ace Di2 electronic
- • Cassette: 11-21 Dura-Ace 7900
- • Chain: Dura Ace
- • Crankset: 175mm Dura-Ace 7900
- • Pedals: Dura-Ace
- • Wheelset: Sub 9 Rear 1080 front, ceramic bearings
- • Front/rear tires: Vittoria Evo Crono CS 23mm
Gilberto Simoni’s Giro road bike
The Gibo Simoni replica 2009 frame employs a new Dedacciai custom carbon tubeset and is a prototype of a frame that will become part of the 2010 range of the storied house of Guerciotti.
Guerciotti makes use of Gilberto Simoni whose experience, knowledge and ideas make him the perfect product tester. This frame improves on the lightness and stiffness of the Gibo Simoni replica 2008 built last year for the two-time Giro d’Italia champion.
With this new carbon tubeset (it is not a monocoque frame but instead uses separate tubes joined with wrapped carbon technology – making it possible to make any size standard/sloping/custom), Guerciotti claims a weight of 995 grams, including the integrated seatpost. To increase the stiffness of front end, Guerciotti uses a tapered head tube to fit the 1-1/8 – 1-1/2-inch steerer of the new RS Carbon monocoque fork. Custom translucent metallic blue/silver paint makes Gibo’s bike immediately recognizable.
- • Frame size: Gibo’s frame is “light sloping.” Frame is available standard-sloping-custom
- • Top tube length: 535mm
- • BB center to top tube center : 460mm
- • Head tube length: 120mm
- • Seat angle: 74 degrees
- • Head angle: 72 degrees
- • Chainstays: 405mm
- • Wheelbase: BB offset -67
- • Fork rake: 44mm
- • Frame: Full carbon frame built with carbon tubes and wrapped carbon junctions. Gibo’s bike for the 2009 Giro also has a tapered steering tube (1-1/8 – 1-1/2 inch) and a BB30 oversized bottom bracket
- • Fork: Deda RS carbon monocoque (330 grams) 1-1/8 – 1-1/2
- • Headset: integrated Dedacciai 1-1/8 – 1/-1/2
- • Stem/bar: Deda Zero 100 servizio corse stem – Bar Super Natural Deda
- • Bar tape: Deda Tape
- • Front brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- • Rear brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- • Saddle: Fizik Arione (replica bike will have Selle Italia SLR Team Edition)
- • Seatpost: integrated
- • Shifters: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed
- • Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed
- • Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed
- • Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed
- • Chain: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed
- • Crankset: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed with BB30 adaptor
- • Pedals: Time
- • Wheelset: Ambrosio XUL for tubulars
- • Front/rear tires: Schwalbe Ultremo 23mm tubulars