Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
Casey Gibson Photo Gallery below
By Jacob Burns, Lehigh Valley Velodrome
The second night of the 2003 USCF National Track Cycling Championships at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome in Trexlertown, Pennsylvania played out under beautiful skies with low humidity and moderate temperatures.
The fair weather proved to be a big help as times in both the men’s kilometer and team pursuit were quicker than in 2002.
Team pursuit qualifiers
In the team pursuit final, the Jelly Belly/Carlsbad Clothing team featuring Tyler Farrar, Mariano Friedick, Curtis Gunn, and individual pursuit champion Adham Sbeih proved to be unbeatable after qualifying first this morning.
The squad finished four seconds ahead of their qualifying time with a 4:31.889 and a full seven seconds ahead of their final round opponents, T.E.A.M. Fuji, led by the individual pursuit silver medalist, Bobby Lea.
Big surprise in the kilo’…
Later in the evening Lea’s silver medal streak would come to an end when he struck gold in the men’s one-kilometer time trial. Lea surprised even himself when he blistered a time of 1:06.265 ousting 2002 kilometer champion Mike Beers (Gotham Cyclists) along with 2003 Pan-American silver medalist Christian Stahl (Cody Racing) and 2000 Olympic Gold Medalist Marty Nothstein (Navigators). Lea said after his emotional win, “My goal is to make the 2004 Olympic Team and every event counts.”
…and another in the women’s sprint
The women finished their sprint tournament with a convincing win by Chris Witty (Team T-Mobile). After breezing through her semi-final ride against one of T-town’s favorite riders, Becky Conzelman (Frisco Cycling Club), Witty went on to take the sprint win in two rides over defending champion for the past four years, Tanya Lindenmuth (Team T-Mobile).In her first ride, Witty took Lindenmuth by surprise and sprinted nearly 500 meters to take the win, while in the second ride Witty flew around Lindenmuth going into turn three and won going away coming out of four. In the ride for third place Jennie Reed (Gregg’s Cycle/VW) took the win in two rides over Conzelman.
USCF National Track Cycling Championships August 27, 2003
Team Pursuit Qualification1. Jelly Belly, 4:35.049
Kenny Williams2. T.E.A.M. Fuji, 4:39.425
Colby Pearce3. Sportsbook.com, 4:40.691
Michael Luther4. Cycles de Oro, 4:45.612
Doug Beck5. East Point , 4:47.954
Peter AntonvichWomen Sprint Quarter-Finals
1. Chris Witty, Team T-Mobile
2. Martha Dunne, Jelly Belly/Carlsbad ClothingHeat 2
1. Tanya Lindenmuth, Team T-Mobile
2. Elizabeth Reap, T.E.A.M. FujiHeat 3
1. Jennie Reed, Gregg’s Trek/VW
2. Jamie Pettinato, Gotham CyclistsHeat 4
1. Becky Conzelman, Frisco Cycling Club
2. Sarah Hammer, Team T-MobileWomen Sprint 5th – 8th
1. Liz Reap, T.E.A.M. Fuji 12.825
2. Jamie Pettinato, Gotham Cyclists
3. Martha Dunne, Jelly Belly/Carlsbad
4. Sarah Hammer , Team T-MobileWomens Sprint Semifinals
1. Chris Witty, T-Mobile, 12.349
2. Becky Conzelman, Frisco Cycling Club,Race 2
1. Chris Witty, T-Mobile, 12.091
2. Becky Conzelman, Frisco Cycling Club,Heat 2
1. Tanya Lindenmuth, T-Mobile, 12.585
2. Jennie Reed, Gregg’s Trek/VW,Race 2
1. Tanya Lindenmuth, T-Mobile, 12.714
2. Jennie Reed, Gregg’s Trek/VW,