Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Brands

Tour de France

Cervélo TestTeam says no Tour decision yet for Carlos Sastre

Cervélo TestTeam has ended speculation about Carlos Sastre's inclusion in this year's Tour de France by telling the former champion to get ready for the July 3-25 event.

Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.

Agence France Presse

Cervélo TestTeam late Monday said the team management is undecided whether Carlos Sastre will start the Tour de France this year.

“Medical analysis is now underway and Sastre is currently awaiting the results,” a team statement read. “Of course we are hoping that Carlos can ride the Tour de France, but his health is still our first priority,” said Joop Alberda general manager.

“For a three-week Tour, a rider must be in top shape and we will definitively take no risk on the health of the athlete. We have to wait for the green light from our medical staff.”

The final results of Sastre’s medical analysis will be known later this week. At that time, the team will announce the pre selection for the 2010 Tour de France.

Sastre had earlier indicated he was not planning to race the Tour de France, having just completed a near-disastrous Giro d’Italia. He suffered three crashes before finishing in eighth place overall behind champion Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Doimo).

Sastre is not scheduled to race any events, including the Spanish national championships on June 27.