Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By Rob Jones, VeloNews correspondent
Stage 2 of the Grand Prix Feminin International du Quebec was a 123km circuit race starting and finishing in Frelighsburg, near the U.S.-Canadian border southeast of Montreal. The peloton split on the first of two climbs, approximately 20km into the stage.
At the 50km mark, Intersports rider Catherine Marsal initiated a break from the front group that would eventually put her in the leader’s jersey. The group of five riders also included Ina Teutenberg (Saturn), Nicole Cooke (UK National Team), Katrina Berger (AutoTrader.com) and Nicole Demars (800.com). Within the first 5km they put 30 seconds between themselves and the peloton, and the gap continued to grow.
With representation from all the major teams (except RONA) there was little incentive for the pack to chase and the gap eventually grew to over four minutes. Two hundred meters before the line, Berger started the sprint, but it was Teutenberg who took the win followed by Cooke and Marsal. Lyne Bessette (Saturn) won the field sprint for 6th.
1. Ina Teutenberg (G) Saturn-Timex, 123 km in 3:03:31;
2. Nicole Cooke (GB), British National Team;
3. Cathy Marsal (F), Intersports;
4. Katrina Berger (USA), AutoTrader.com, all s.t.;
5. Nicole Demars (Can), 800.com, at 0:03;
6. Lyne Bessette (Can), Saturn-Timex, 4:24;
7. Mandy Poitras (Can), 800.com;
8. Gina Grain (USA), 800.com;
9. Jennifer Stephenson (Can), Crédit Suisse First Boston;
10. Julie Young (USA), AutoTrader.com, all s.t.;
1. Cathy Marsal (F), Intersports, 5:26:02;
2. Ina Teutenberg (G), Saturn-Timex, at 0:09;
3. Katrina Berger (USA), AutoTrader.com, at 0:18;
4. Nicole Demars (Can), 800.com, at 0:23;
5. Julie Young (USA), AutoTrader.com, at 2:40;
6. Anke Erlank (RSA), Saturn-Timex, at 2:45;
7. Pia Sundstedt (Fin), Intersports, at 2:48;
8. Charlotte Hopkinson (GB) British National Team, at 2:53;
9. Andrea Hannos (Can), VeriZon, s.t.;
10. Julia Farell (Can), VeriZon at s.t.;