Coryn Rivera (UnitedHealthcare) powered through the final 600 meters of the second day of the Tour of Utah Women’s Edition: Criterium Classic to take the win in downtown Ogden. Hannah Barnes (UnitedHealthcare) finished second on the day and captured the overall title.
“The wide roads and the longer course proved a challenge for us and made for a hard day,” said Rivera, who
won the inaugural Tour of Utah Women’s Edition last year. “We were a little spent and had a hard time controlling
the front lead-out. We knew what we had to do to execute.”
The omnium-style format meant many riders were still in the hunt for the overall title heading into day two of criterium racing, despite Allie Dragoo’s (Twenty16-ShoAir) wide margin of victory on day one in Logan.
UnitedHealthcare controlled the front of the peloton throughout most of the 75-minute race on the 1.5-mile course through downtown Ogden. Heading in the final half-lap, UHC had three riders on the front with Barnes sitting third behind Rivera. Rivera hit the front a long way out and buried herself for Barnes. Her powerful pull created separation heading into the long finishing straight, and she held off the peloton to take the win, saluting her teammate Barnes who took second and, in the process, won the overall title. Samantha Schneider (ISCorp Cycling) finished third.
“We knew that I would have to win both intermediate sprints and place as high as we could in the finish,”
Barnes said. “After the two intermediates, I knew that I was going to be tired. Today, with the course being
wide and long, it was difficult but we managed to tow it off.
“I’m pumped that they added another day this year for us so we have two days and hopefully each year we
get a little more. I just hope for the best for women’s cycling to keep expanding.”
Top 10, stage 2
1. Coryn Rivera, UnitedHealthcare
2. Hannah Barnes, UnitedHealthcare
3. Samantha Schneider, ISCorp Cycling
4. Kendall Ryan, Tibco-SVB
5. Joanne Kiesanowski, Tibco-SVB
6. Yussely Soto, ISCorp Cycling
7. Gretchen Stumhofer, Colavita-Bianchi
8. Tina Pic, Pepper Palace
9. Mia Manganello, Visit Dallas Cycling
10. Lauretta Hanson, Fearless Femme
Final omnium standings
1. Hannah Barnes, UnitedHealthcare, 45 points
2. Coryn Rivera, UnitedHealthcare, 37 points
3. Samantha Schneider, ISCorp Cycling, 33 points
4. Gretchen Stumhofer, Colavita-Bianchi, 33 points
5. Allie Dragoo, Twenty16-Sho-Air, 32 points
6. Kendall Ryan, Tibco-SVB, 25 points
7. Joanne Kiesanowski, Tibco-SVB, 21 points
8. Yussely Soto, ISCorp Cycling, 21 points
9. Olivia Dillon, Visit Dallas Cycling, 21 points
10. Diana Penuela, Sun & Ski, 19 points