American Shelley Olds (Ale Cipollini) sprinted to victory on Sunday in the Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta.
The inaugural women’s event was a 87km circuit race around Madrid.
A sizable break was off the front in the final laps. But the catch came with 7km remaining, and going into bell lap Kelly Van den Streen (Topsport Vlaanderen) had a dig. She, too, was swept up, with less than 5km to go.
Hitec Products then set about forming its lead-out train for Kirsten Wild. Ale Cipollini moved forward next for Olds. Coming out of the final hairpin corner and into the last kilometer it was anybody’s race.
With 200 meters to go it looked like a close call, but at the line Olds took a convincing victory ahead of Giorgia Bronzini (Wiggle Honda) with Wild third.
- 1. Shelley OLDS, ALE CIPOLLINI, in 2:06:21
- 2. Giorgia BRONZINI, WIGGLE HONDA, at :00
- 3. Kirsten WILD, HITEC PRODUCTS, at :00
- 4. Roxane FOURNIER, POITOU-CHARENTES.FUTUROSCOPE.86, at :00
- 5. Lucy GARNER, TEAM LIV-PLANTUR, at :00
- 6. Eugenia BUJAK, BTC CITY LJUBLJANA, at :00
- 7. Elena CECCHINI, LOTTO SOUDAL LADIES, at :00
- 8. Kelly DRUYTS, TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN – PRO – DUO, at :00
- 9. Arianna FIDANZA, ALE CIPOLLINI, at :00
- 10. Sheyla GUTIERREZ RUIZ, LOINTEK TEAM, at :00