Cody Racing claims team sprint as Pearce takes scratch
By VeloNews Interactive
Erin Mirabella (Frisco Cycling Club) lapped the field and held off a late charge by Ashley Kimmet (Colavita-Bolla) to win the women’s points race Saturday during the final night of the USCF National Track Cycling Championships in Trexlertown, Pennsylvania.
The race started off slowly, but soon began to break apart. An attack by Lauren Shirock (Coyote Cycling) got the action rolling. Then Mari Holden (Team T-Mobile) and Kimmet, the 2001 junior world silver medalist in the points race, got away to take the lead with 35 laps remaining.
Mirabella and Sarah Hammer (Team T-Mobile) charged to catch the break, and the foursome maintained their near-half-track lead. With six laps remaining it looked as though Kimmet had the race sewn up on points, but Mirabella, a former individual-pursuit champ, charged away to lap the field, a move good for 20 points. Kimmet tried to bridge the gap, but to no avail, and Mirabella collected the national title.
Earlier in the evening, Team Cody Racing 1 (Christian Stahl, Andy Lakatosh and Giddeon Massie) took on the Gotham Cyclists (Eduardo Cocina, Kevin Belz and Michael Beers) in the team sprint. Going into the final lap, Cody held the lead by just over six-tenths of a second, but Beers made a run and nearly overtook Stahl. In the end, however, Cody Racing held on to win by less than two tenths of a second.
In the men’s 15km scratch race, cat-and-mouse games between the top riders kept the pace high throughout the event. Defending champion Marty Nothstein (Navigators) worked hard to chase down every potential break, but when a four-man group – Scott Zwizanski (Team Snow Valley), Colby Pearce (Ofoto-Lombardi Sports), Timmy Reinhart (Saturn Development) and David Godfrey (Team Rubicon) – countered a Jame Carney attack, Nothstein was nowhere to be found, and the quartet took a lap on the field with only 12 laps remaining.
With three to go, Pearce went to the front with Kenny Williams (Saturn of Bellevue). The duo powered to take one-two in the final sprint, with Pearce collecting the national crown.
Men’s team sprint
1. Cody Racing 1 (Christian Stahl, Andy Lakatosh, Giddeon Massie), 1:04.417
2. Gotham Cyclists (Eduardo Cocina, Kevin Belz, Michael Beers), 1:04.614
3. Cody Racing X (Stephen Alfred, Andy Sparks, Adam Duvendeck), 1:04.914
4. East Coast Velo (Ben Barczewski, Joshua Weir, Erik Bonser), 1:06.844
Women’s 20km points race
1. Erin Mirabella (Frisco Cycling Club), 35pts
2. Ashley Kimmet (Colavita-Bolla), 29
3. Sarah Hammer (T-Mobile), 24
4. Mari Holden (T-Mobile), 15
5. Becky Quinn (unattached), 11
Men’s 15km scratch race
1. Colby Pearce (Ofoto- Lombardi Sports), 18:35
2. Scott Zwizanski (Team Snow Valley)
3. Tim Reinhart (Saturn Development)
4. David Godfrey (Team Rubicon)
5. Kenny Williams (Saturn of Bellevue)