Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
Gathering winds blew in cloud cover and relatively cooler temperatures for an afternoon of Elite UCI racing in Los Angeles.
The second-annual UCI Dam Cross race is the only UCI (class-two) CX event held in California this year. The 3.17-kilometer course was set at the base of LA’s Hansen Dam, snaking around and through an oak studded, bowl shaped park.
The course started on a flat paved stretch then climbed through the bumpy grass to encounter off camber hillside traverses, switchback ascents and descents, and tight and swooping turns. The women’s field matched veteran Nor Cal crossers Rachel Lloyd (California Giant Berry) and Barbara Howe (unattached), and 16-year-old So Cal youngster Cory Rivera (Redline).
Lloyd took the lead at the whistle and, with Rivera in tow a few meters off her wheel, built up a several second lead on the main field by the mid-way point of the first lap. Lloyd soon powered ahead to separate herself from the hometown favorite and left the race for the rest of the podium to develop behind her. Barbara Howe caught the hard charging youngster late in the first lap with Kari Studley (Velo Bella) and Kristie Berg (Redline) closing in on the duo.
After a couple of attacks Howe managed to put some time on Rivera, while Studley and Berg got tangled up giving Howe a gap she kept for the remainder of the race. Studley and Berg recovered from the crash and passed Rivera taking third and fourth place, respectively. The sixteen-year-old Rivera raced a great race to take the fifth and final podium spot.
1. Rachel Lloyd (USA), California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized in 00:40:25
2. Barbara Howe (USA), Unattached in 00:42:24
3. Kari Studley (USA), Velo Bella-Kona in 00:42:32
4. Coryn Rivera (USA), Team Redline in 00:42:36
5. Kristi Berg (USA), Redline Bicycles in 00:43:34
6. Carolyn Popovic (USA), Team C.I.C.L.E Presented By Voler in 00:44:41
7. Shannon Gibson (USA), Velo Bella-Kona in 00:45:10
8. Dorothy Wong (USA), Team C.I.C.L.E Presented By Voler in 00:46:32
9. Kendall Ryan (USA), Team C.I.C.L.E Presented By Voler in 00:47:45
10. Lisa Crowe (CAN), Team C.I.C.L.E Presented By Voler in 00:47:55
11. Christie Pleiss (USA), Team C.I.C.L.E Presented By Voler in 00:48:42
12. Sarah Kaufmann (USA), Roaring Mouse/Titus in 00:49:10
13. Heidi Kanayan (USA), Team C.I.C.L.E Presented By Voler in 00:50:01
1. Christopher Jones (USA), Sonic/jittery Joes/Louis Garneau in 00:59:18
2. Russell Stevenson (USA), Team Redline Bikes in 00:59:39
3. Chance Noble (USA), California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized in 01:00:08
4. Sid Taberlay (AUS), Sho Air / Rock N Road in 01:00:45
5. Mark Noble (GBR), Bailey Bikes in 01:00:49
6. Justin Robinson (USA), California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized in 01:00:49
7. Brent Prenzlow (USA), Celo Pacific/alan in 01:00:49
8. Bart Gillespie (USA), Monavie/canondale in 01:01:19
9. Ryan Iddings (USA), Lapierre in 01:01:49
10. Gary Douville (USA), Team Platinum in 01:02:37
11. Jeremy Ferguson (USA), California Giant Berry Farms/specialized in 01:03:05
12. Jason Siegle (USA), Team Cicle Bear Valley Bikes in 01:03:26
13. Frederick Bottger (USA), Vitamix/six Tu Fit in 01:04:00
14. John Behrens (USA), Bailey Bikes in 01:04:09
15. Michael Lee (USA), Trek/vw/jbl in 01:04:33
16. Jason Lowetz (USA), Bearclaw in 01:05:00
17. Brandon Gritters (USA), Rock N Road in 01:05:52
18. Robert Downs (USA), Planet Bikes in 01:06:15
19. Damon Roberson (USA), Unattached in 01:07:06
20. Donny Carroll (USA), Dewalt Racing in 01:07:37
21. Ted Willard (USA), Bike Religion in 01:09:04
22. Kyle Gritters (USA), Rock N Road, at 1Lp
23. Garnet Vertican (USA), Bear Valley Bikes, at 1Lp
24. Lyle Warner (USA), Helen’s/Subaru-Gary Fisher, at 1Lp
25. Leonard Lawrence (USA), Successfulliving.com, at 1Lp
26. Derek Herman (USA), CICLE Bear Valley Bikes, at 2Lp