Katie Compton, Jeremy Powers win 2013 Boulder Cup

Compton starts fast, Powers starts slow, but they both wind up in the same place — on top of the podium

Get access to everything we publish when you join VeloNews or Outside+.

Katie Compton (Trek Cyclocross Collective) started fast and finished faster on Sunday in the elite women’s race at Colorado’s Boulder Cup.

Jeremy Powers (Rapha-Focus), by contrast, started slowly — but he, too, finished fastest, gradually overhauling a lead group and then riding away from it to win the elite men’s race.

Compton on cruise control

Compton led the women’s field off the line and onto the dry, dusty circuit, trailed by Elle Anderson (California Giant-Specialized) with Nicole Duke (Marin-Spy) third.

But Anderson stacked it in a corner in the first lap and Compton rolled away, leaving Duke chasing five seconds down.

But the end of lap one she was a dozen seconds ahead of Duke and Kaitlin Antonneau ( and padding her advantage.

Chloe Woodruff (Crankbrothers) escaped the others and set out after Compton on the second go-round, with Antonneau. But as the lap came to an end the World Cup champ had more than a minute over Woodruff.

With three to go Compton had 35 seconds and she was piling time on the others. When she got the bell she was nearly a minute up on Woodruff, with a three-woman chase — Meredith Miller (Cal Giant), Antonneau and Crystal Anthony (Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies) — at 1:19.

Compton took the victory with plenty of time to spare — Woodruff didn’t follow for second until a minute later.

Behind, Miller won the battle for third, leading into the final corner and holding her advantage all the way to the line.

Berden early, Powers late

Ben Berden Raleigh-Clement) took the early lead as the men’s start kicked up a huge dust cloud.

And he stayed in contention throughout, battling with Danny Summerhill (K-Edge-Felt) and Ryan Trebon (, until first Todd Wells (Specialized) and then Powers joined the party.

When Trebon crashed and fell out of the lead group with three laps remaining, Wells found himself alone off the front — but not for long. When Powers joined him, it became a two-man race. And then, shortly after going into bell lap, it was down to one, as the Rapha man rode away on the course’s first long climb.

Wells then found himself pitted against a resurgent Berden, and while Powers pedaled to a comfortable solo victory, the Raleigh rider got in front of Wells at the staircase run and stayed there, holding his edge in the two-up sprint to the line.