Joaquim “Purito” Rodríguez (Katusha) hung on in Sunday’s mountaintop finish to secure a morale-boosting victory at the Vuelta a Burgos just two weeks ahead of the start of the Vuelta a España.
Rodríguez marked his GC rivals on Sunday’s final stage in the Sierra de la Demanda to claim the overall title. Euskaltel-Euskadi’s Mikel Landa won the stage, three seconds ahead of Juanjo Cobo (Geox-TMC), with Rodríguez crossing the line third at 12 seconds in arrears.
Rodríguez thanked his Katusha teammates for controlling the action in a challenging, multi-climb stage.
“The stage was particularly difficult today,” he said. “Euskaltel set a very high pace and they took a well-deserved victory. Landa, in his first year as a pro, has demonstrated he’s a big talent. Thanks to the work of my teammates, we were able to win the race. Now we’re ready to take on the Vuelta with a lot of enthusiasm.”
Rodríguez claimed the overall 36 seconds ahead of teammate Dani Moreno, with Cobo rounding out the podium in third with 45 seconds adrift.
Samuel Sanchez (Euskaltel-Euskadi) was fourth at 1:23 while Vuelta favorite Igor Antón was happy to let his teammates ride for glory, and settled for eighth overall at 2:25 back.
- 1. Mikel Landa Meana (Esp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, 4:00:20
- 2. Juan Jose Cobo Acebo (Esp), Geox-TMC, at 0:03
- 3. Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Esp), Team Katusha, at 0:12
- 4. Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Esp), Team Katusha, at 0:17
- 5. Fabrice Jeandesboz (Fra), Saur-Sojasun, at 0:33
- 1. Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Esp), Team Katusha, 15:12:34
- 2. Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Esp), Team Katusha, at 0:36
- 3. Juan Jose Cobo Acebo (Esp), Geox-TMC, at 0:45
- 4. Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Esp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, at 1:23
- 5. Fabrice Jeandesboz (Fra), Saur-Sojasun, at 1:52