Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
Rabobank’s Pedro Horrillo, the rider who suffered a disastrous crash in last month’s Giro d’Italia, was released from a Spanish hospital on Wednesday and said that he wants to ride again.
The 34-year-old Spaniard fell nearly 150 feet after vaulting over a traffic barrier on a treacherous descent of the Culmine di San Petro in the eighth stage of the Giro on May 16. Horrillo suffered a broken femur and knee, several broken ribs and a punctured lung, plus head and chest trauma.
After being placed in a medically induced coma to prevent brain damage, Horrillo was transferred to the University hospital at Navarra in Northern Spain. After more than a month there, Horrillo was released on Wednesday.
“My greatest hope is to enjoy cycling again,” Horrillo told reporters. “It would be hard to leave professional cycling way, but because of this accident, it is something I may have to accept.”
Horrillo, a professional since 1997, said he is thankful that he survived the crash, particularly after viewing photographs of the ravine into which he fell.
“I am glad to have survived to tell the tale, especially after I saw the pictures showing the ravine where I fell,” he said.
Race officials weren’t even aware that Horrillo had crashed until other riders notified them that his bike was at the side of the road. Rescuers searched for 10 minutes before they found Horrillo about 150 feet below the road in a narrow gorge filled with large boulders and dense vegetation. It took another 20 minutes for mountain rescue personnel to recover him.