World champion Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Rabo-Liv) climbed her way to victory on stage 5 of the 26th Giro Rosa. American Megan Guarnier (Boels Dolmans) showed she has the form to potentially hold the maglia rosa to the end of the race by finishing second.
The fifth day of the 2015 Giro Rosa from Trezzo sull’Adda to Aprica saw the first uphill finish of this year’s race. The start of the stage was calm with no rider fancying their chances in the breakaway. When the peloton hit Edolo, 16km from the finish, the fireworks started.
Ukrainian road champion Tetyana Riabchenko (Inpa Sottoli Giusfredi) was the first to attack and gained an advantage of around 20 seconds over the peloton. The final climb to Aprica was not steep enough to create big gaps, so multiple riders attempted to bridge to Riabchenko.
With 6km to go, Riabchenko had been caught and Claudia Lichtenberg (Liv-Platur) made a bid for glory. Many riders attacked to join her, including Ferrand-Prévot. The world champion then sprung away from the others, as the riders approached the finish and the peloton closed in.
Ferrand-Prévot was able to hold off the chasing group and claim the stage win over the reduced peloton by a single second. Guarnier won the reduced-bunch sprint to claim second and retain her leader’s jersey. Anna Van der Breggen (Rabo-Liv) rounded out the podium in third
On Thursday, stage 6 will travel from Tresivio to Morbegno. Hard racing from the start could be expected, as the riders tackle a category 2 climb only 10km into the stage. The tough 7km category 1 climb to Sondrio follows and will definitely whittle down the peloton. Once over the climb to Sondrio, the riders will tackle one more cat. 2 climb before a fast descent and long, flat run-in into Morbegno.
Top 10, stage 5: Trezzo sull’Adda – Aprica (128.5km)
1. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Rabo-Liv) 3h16’28”
2. Megan Guarnier (Boels Dolmans) +1”
3. Anna Van der Breggen (Rabo-Liv) +1”
4. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Rabo-Liv) +1”
5. Ashleigh Moolman (Bigla) +1”
6. Alena Amialiusik (Velocio-SRAM) +1″
7. Lucinda Brand (Rabo-Liv) +1″
8. Sabrina Stultiens (Team Liv-Plantur) +1″
9. Thalita de Jong (Rabo-Liv) +1″
10. Flavia Oliveira (Ale Cipollini) +1″
General classification after stage 5:
1. Megan Guarnier (Boels Dolmans) 15h10’07”
2. Anna Van der Breggen (Rabo-Liv) +5”
3. Ashleigh Moolman (Bigla) +12”
4. Lucinda Brand (Rabo-Liv) +19”
5. Elisa Longo Borghini (Wiggle-Honda) +20”
6. Evelyn Stevens (Boels Dolmans) +22”
7. Katazyna Niewiadoma (Rabo-Liv) +24”
8. Karol-ann Canuel (Velocio-SRAM) +31”
9. Mara Abbott (Wiggle-Honda) +44”
10. Elena Cecchini (Lotto-Soudal) +46”
The 26th Giro Rosa jerseys after stage 5:
Pink Jersey: Megan Guarnier (Boels Dolmans)
Ciclamino Jersey: Lucinda Brand (Rabo-Liv)
Green Jersey: Carlee Taylor (Lotto-Soudal)
White Jersey: Katarzyna Niewadoma (Rabo-Liv)
Blue Jersey: Elisa Longo Borghini (Wiggle-Honda)