Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
Deidre Winfield (C3-Athletes Serving Athletes) and Jeff Bahnson (Van Dessel) won a brand-spankin’ new version of the Fair Hill Cross on Saturday in Fair Hill, Maryland.
After a decade of racing at the Cecil County Fairgrounds in Fair Hill Natural Resources Management area, the Champion System MAC Series moved a couple miles to the east to a new venue within the 5,633-acre state park in eastern Maryland, just west of Newark, Delaware.
The course got some rain midweek, but race day saw a fast and fairly dry course, full of switchbacks, off-camber sections and steady climbs
The elite women’s field strung out over the length of the course, with Winfield taking the win ahead of Kristin Gavin (Team Cystic Fibrosis) and Patty Buerkle (Haymarket Bicycles-SEAVS).
The elite men’s field saw cat-and-mouse tactics from the foursome of Bahnson and teammate Bobby Lea, Anthony Grand (Cyfac Champion System) and Jared Nieters (Haymarket Bicycles-SEAVS).
The race was undecided until the final lap, when Bahnson attacked after the barriers to take a clear win with the other three following close behind.
The next races in the Champion System MAC Series and the finale to the season will be the two-day Whitmore’s Landscaping Super Cross Cup. It too will be at a new venue, Long Island’s Eisenhower Park.
- 1. Jeffrey Bahnson, Van Dessel Factory Team, 59:30
- 2. Bobby Lea, Van Dessel Factory Team, 59:34
- 3. Anthony Grand, Cyfac-Champion System, 59:37
- 4. Jared Nieters, Haymarket-Seavs, 59:46
- 5. Greg Wittwer, Alan North America Cycling Team, 1:00:04
- 1. Deidre Winfield, C3-Athletes Serving Athletes, 32:38
- 2. Kristin Gavin, Team Cystic Fibrosis, 32:24
- 3. Patty Buerkle, Haymarket-Seavs, 32:56
- 4. Katrina Dowidchuk, Team TBB-Deep Blue, 34:55
- 5. Erin Silliman, Alan North America Cycling Team, 35:10