Davide Frattini (Hudz-Subaru) won for a second consecutive day at the Toronto International Cyclocross on Sunday, while Natasha Elliott (Garneau-Club Chaussures-Ogilvy) and Katy Curtis (CMC-Bow Cycle) traded places atop the podium in Canada.
It was a clear autumn day in Toronto, and the course was slightly more technical than on Saturday, with racers saying it suited mountain bikers rather than roadies (some steep descents in particular).
Most could ride the sand on Saturday, but Sunday’s course threw racers a curve — a sharp turn at the start of the sand. And wind was a factor on the long straightaways.
The women’s race started much like Saturday’s, with the same three riders off the front, but by the end of the first lap Elliott made it clear she didn’t want a second runner-up finish. She attacked hard and never looked back.
Curtis and Pepper Harlton (Juventus) worked together to try to close the gap but couldn’t. In the final technical off-camber section Curtis was able to drop Harlton to finish second.
Melissa Bunn (Stevens Racing p/b/ The Cyclery) was on her own for most of the race and worked hard to take a second consecutive fourth-place finish.
The men’s race was full on from the start as a select group tried to overcome the “Frattini factor.” Derrick St. John (Garneau-Club Chaussures-Ogilvy), Mark Lalonde (Specialized) and Andrew Watson (Norco Factory Team) were working well together, though Lalonde lost contact with the leaders around mid-race.
In the last technical sections before the start of the bell lap, Frattini broke clear of St. John and Watson and kept widening the gap throughout. Mark Batty (Spidertech) broke from the group to finish in the top five.
- 1. Natasha Elliott (Can), Garneau-Club Chaussures-Ogilvy, 36:24
- 2. Katy Curtis (Can), CMC-Bow Cycle, 36:41
- 3. Pepper Harlton (Can), Juventus, 36:51
- 4. Melissa Bunn (Can), Stevens Racing p/b The Cyclery, 38:22
- 5. Marne Smiley (USA), Scott-Ollett Coaching, 39:39
- 1. Davide Frattini (I), Hudz-Subaru, 56:45
- 2. Derrick St John (Can), Garneau-Club Chaussures-Ogilvy, 56:56
- 3. Andrew Watson (Can), Norco Factory Team, 57:17
- 4. Mark Lalonde (USA), Specialized, 58:23
- 5. Mark Batty (Can), Spidertech, 59:05