Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By Agence France Presse
Chris Hoy won the men’s keirin as British cyclists claimed two gold medals on the second night of the UCI World Cup track meet Saturday in Sydney, Australia.
Hoy, the reigning keirin and kilometer time trial world champion, downed compatriot Ross Edgar and world sprint champion Theo Boss of the Netherlands to take gold.
Great Britain followed up with gold in the men’s team pursuit, beating New Zealand. The British team of Edward Clancy, Stephen Cummings, Chris Newton and individual pursuit world champion Bradley Wiggins won in a time of four minutes 01.196 seconds over the 4000-meter distance. Team Toshiba took the bronze medal.
Frenchman Michael D’Almeida captured the kilo time trial in 1:02.588 from China’s Li Wen Hao (1:03.575) and Ukraine’s Yevgen Bolibrukh (1:03.629).
Germany’s Roger Kluge won the men’s scratch race over 15km from Canada’s Zachary Bell and Milan Kadlec of the Czech Republic.
Australia’s world champion and world record holder Anna Meares celebrated her stellar year with a farewell victory in the women’s time trial. Meares, the only woman to have gone under 34 seconds in the two-lap event, clocked 33.869 seconds to take the gold ahead of Cuba’s Lisandra Guerra Rodriguez (34.058) and Dutchwoman Willy Kanis (34.141).
The 24-year-old, who is also the Olympic champion in the event, will now turn her focus to racing the sprint after the 500m race she owns was dropped from next year’s Beijing Games program.
Italy’s Giorgia Bronzini won the women’s points race with 11 points from China’s Li Yan (10) and Czech Republic’s Jarmila Machacova (9).
The Dutch combination of Yvonne Hijgenaar and Willy Kanis won the women’s team spint in 33.958 seconds from Australians, Kaarle McCulloch and Kerrie Meares (34.759), with France (Sandie Clair/Virginie Cueff) taking the bronze.
Team pursuit (4km)
1. Great Britain (Edward Clancy, Stephen Cummings, Chris Newton, Bradley Wiggins), 4:01.196
2. New Zealand (Sam Bewley, Westley Gough, Marc Ryan, Jesse Sergent), 4:05.301
3. Team Toshiba (Jack Bobridge, Peter Dawson, Zakkari Dempster, Mark Jamieson), 4:03.248
1. Chris Hoy (GB)
2. Ross Edgar (GB)
3. Theo Boss (Ned)
Kilometer time trial
1. Michael D’Almeida (F), 1:02.588
2. Li Wen Hao (Chn), 1:03.575
3. Yevgen Bolibrukh (Ukr), 1:03.629
1. Roger Kluge (G)
2. Zachary Bell (Can)
3. Milan Kadlec (Cze)
500m time trial
1. Anna Meares (Aus), 33.869
2. Lisandra Guerra Rodriguez (Cub), 34.058
3. Willy Kanis (Ned,) 34.141
Points race (20km)
1. Giorgia Bronzini (I), 11pts
2. Li Yan (Chn), 10
3. Jarmila Machacova (Cze), 9
1. Netherlands (Yvonne Hijgenaar/Willy Kanis), 33.958
2. Australia (Kaarle McCulloch/Kerrie Meares), 34.759
3. France (Sandie Clair/Virginie Cueff), no time