Don't miss a moment from Paris-Roubaix and Unbound Gravel, to the Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and everything in between when you join Outside+.
By Agence France Presse
Chris Hoy won the men’s keirin event as British cyclists claimed two goldmedals on the second night of the UCI World Cup track meet in Sydney, Australia, on Saturday.
Hoy, the reigning keirin and kilometer time trial world champion,downed compatriot Ross Edgar and world sprint champion Theo Boss of theNetherlands to take gold.
Great Britain followed up with gold in the men’s team pursuit, beatingNew Zealand.
The British team of Edward Clancy, Stephen Cummings, Chris Newton andindividual pursuit world champion Bradley Wiggins won in a time of 4:01.196seconds over 4000 meters. Team Toshiba took the bronze medal.
Frenchman Michael D’Almeida captured the kilo time trial in 1:02.588from China’s Li Wen Hao (1:03.575) and Ukraine’s Yevgen Bolibrukh (1:03.629).
Germany’s Roger Kluge won the men’s scratch race over 15km from Canada’sZachary Bell and Milan Kadlec of the Czech Republic.
Australia’s world champion and world record holder Anna Meares celebratedher stellar year with a farewell victory in the women’s 500-meter timetrial. Meares, the only woman to have gone under 34 seconds in the two-lapevent, clocked 33.869 seconds to take the gold ahead of Cuba’s LisandraGuerra Rodriguez (34.058) and Dutchwoman Willy Kanis (34.141).
The 24-year-old, who is also the Olympic champion in the event, willnow turn her focus to racing the sprint after the 500m race she owns wasdropped from next year’s Beijing Games program.
Italy’s Giorgia Bronzini won the women’s points race with 11 points,with China’s Li Yan (10) and Czech Republic’s Jarmila Machacova (9) roundingout the podium.
The Dutch combination of Yvonne Hijgenaar and Willy Kanis won the women’steam spint in 33.958 seconds from Australians, Kaarle McCulloch and KerrieMeares (34.759), with France (Sandie Clair/Virginie Cueff) taking the bronze.
Sydney World Cup – Day 2
Team pursuit (4km)
1. Great Britain (Edward Clancy, Stephen Cummings, ChrisNewton, Bradley Wiggins), 4:01.196.
2. New Zealand (Sam Bewley, Westley Gough, Marc Ryan,Jesse Sergent), 4:05.301.
3. Team Toshiba (Jack Bobridge, Peter Dawson, ZakkariDempster, Mark Jamieson), 4:03.248
1. Chris Hoy (GB)
2. Ross Edgar (GB)
3. Theo Boss (Nl)
1. Michael D’Almeida (F), 1:02.588
2. Li Wen Hao (PRC), 1:03.575
3. Yevgen Bolibrukh (Ukr), 1:03.629
1. Roger Kluge (G)
2. Zachary Bell (Can)
3. Milan Kadlec (Cz)
Time trial (500m)
1. Anna Meares (Aus), 33.869
2. Lisandra Guerra Rodriguez (Cub), 34.058
3. Willy Kanis (Nl), 34.141
Points race (20km)
1. Giorgia Bronzini (I), 11pts
2. Li Yan (PRC), 10
3. Jarmila Machacova (Cz), 9
1. Netherlands (Yvonne Hijgenaar/Willy Kanis), 33.958
2. Australia (Kaarle McCulloch/Kerrie Meares), 34.759
3. France (Sandie Clair/Virginie Cueff), no time