Carmen Small (Colavita-Baci) and Luis Amaran (Jamis-Sutter Home) showed New Mexico cycling fans that olive oil and wine go hand in hand as they won the omnium competitions Saturday at the Roadrunner Classic in Albuquerque.
Amaran won the morning’s 6.3-mile time trial and finished second in the road race behind teammate Ignacio Pereyra to secure the points win. Alison Powers (Vera Bradley Foundation) scored the fastest time in the women’s TT, but lost out on the omnium when she flatted on the final lap of the road race.
In its first year, the one-day Roadrunner Classic was a cooperative venture between race promoters and local and state governments aimed at creating a SRAM Tour of the Gila preparatory race in the state. The Gila begins Wednesday.
Roadrunner Classic Men’s Final Omnium
- 1. Luis Amaran, Jamis-Sutter Home
- 2. Ignacio Pereyra, Jamis-Sutter Home
- 3. Tyler Wren, Jamis-Sutter Home
- 4. Nick Frey, Jamis-Sutter Home
- 5. Andy Guptill, Jamis-Sutter Home
- 6. Will Duggan, Team Type 1
Women’s Final Omnium
- 1. Carmen Small, Colavita-Baci
- 2. Alison Powers, Vera Bradley Foundation
- 3. Kathryn Mattis, Webcor Builder