Spanish champion Sheyla Gutierrez won stage 7 of the Giro Rosa Thursday in Baronissi, Italy.
Spanish champion Sheyla Gutierrez won stage 7 of the Giro Rosa Thursday in Baronissi, Italy. Ale-Cipollini’s Soraya Paladin was second ahead of Eugenia Bujak (BJC City Lujbljana).
Gutierrez was fastest out of a breakaway of 12 riders that rode off the front on the hilly stage. At one point, the group had an advantage of three minutes.
The victory was a big milestone for her American Cylance team, its first in the Giro Rosa.
Gutierrez also won the Belgian one-day classic Le Samyn in March.
The race was overshadowed by a crash in the 142-kilometer stage. Claudia Cretti (Valcar PBM) was taken to a hospital after crashing mid-race. Organizers have not provided further details about the prognosis.
Anna van der Breggen (Boels-Dolmans) kept her overall lead in the Giro with three stages remaining. Elisa Longo Borghini (Wiggle-High5) is second, and Annemiek van Vleuten (Orica-Scott) sits in third overall.
Stage 7, top five
1. Sheyla Gutierrez Ruiz (Cylance Pro Cycling) in 3:43″16
2. Soraya Paladin (Alè – Cipollini – Galassia), st
3. Eugenia Bujak (BTC City Ljubljana), st
4. Alexis Ryan (Canyon SRAM Racing), st
5. Lauren Kitchen (WM3 Pro Cycling Team), st
1. Anna Van der Breggen (Boels Dolmans) in 15:37:14
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Wiggle High5) at +1’03
3. Annemiek Van Vleuten (Orica – Scott), +1’39”
4. Megan Guarnier (Boels Dolmans), +3’11
5. Amanda Spratt (Orica – Scott), +3’32