The UCI’s Anti-Doping Tribunal has handed Frenchman Lloyd Mondory a four-year ban for EPO.
The UCI previously announced an adverse analytical finding on Mondory’s A sample on March 10. The sample was from an out of competition test taken on February 17.
“The Anti-Doping Tribunal found Mr. Lloyd Mondory guilty of an anti-doping rule violation (presence of EPO) and imposed a 4-year period of ineligibility on the rider,” a UCI statement said.
The decision is likely to end Mondory’s career. The former Ag2r La Mondiale rider is now 33, and will be 37 when his ban is lifted.
Mondory, who raced the Tour de France twice, was the first top-level French cyclist since Steve Houanard in 2012 to test positive for EPO.
“I’m ashamed, I’m ashamed, I’m ashamed,” said Ag2r manager Vincent Lavenu following the adverse analytical finding in March. “I feel a sense of betrayal; he’s been with us for 12 years, and now the team’s reputation will be tarnished.”