Marianne Vos wins her third GC title at the Giro Rosa, and Emma Pooley takes her third stage win atop the Ghisallo
Atop the legendary Ghisallo climb, Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) won her third stage of the 2014 Giro Rosa. Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv) also pulled off a hat-trick, winning her third overall title in the Italian women’s stage race.
Much like she did on stages 6 and 8 of the race, Pooley climbed away from all comers, riding alone to victory and putting an exclamation point on her Giro, one which saw her handily win the green jersey of the mountain classification.
At the finish, a tearful Pooley said, “This year, my tour has not started in the best of ways, but I managed to win three successive stages and the green jersey. I come home satisfied with the knowledge that women’s cycling is growing.”
The Giro’s GC champion, Marianne Vos said, “I’m really happy with this triumph. The success is a team effort. Rabobank-Liv was always in the pink jersey and never let its guard down, winning six stages. Our team’s strength has been serenity and tranquility.”
Stage 9 results
1. Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) 1:57:40, average speed: 40.8kph
2. Pauline Ferrand Prevot (Rabobank-Liv) 25 seconds
3. Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv) s.t.
4. Anna Van Der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv) a 33 seconds
5. Mara Abbott (UnitedHealthcare) s.t.
1. Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv)
2. Pauline Ferrand Prevot (Rabobank-Liv) 15 seconds
3. Anna van der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv) 1:32
4. Mara Abbott (UnitedHealthcare) a 1:54
5. Elisa Longo Borghini (Hitec Products) a 2:06