Emma Pooley wins stage 6 of Giro Rosa
Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) managed to break the stranglehold of the Rabobank-Liv team on the Giro Rosa, riding relentlessly to win stage 6 on Thursday.
A mere 28 kilometers into the 112km stage, Pooley soloed away from the peloton, claiming the first KOM prize. Soon after, she was joined by a group of six riders: Elena Berlato (Alè Cipollini-Galassia), Trixi Worrack (Specialized-lululemon), Giorgia Bronzini (Wiggle-Honda), Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Rabobank-Liv), Jessie Daams (Boels-Dolmans), and Valentina Scandolara (Orica-AIS).
Pooley attacked again on the final climb, winning that KOM. In the run-in to the finish in San Fior, the Briton dangled in front of a chasing group that included race leader Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv) and American Mara Abbott (UnitedHealthcare). But the 11 second gap proved to be enough for Pooley to survive to the finish and win the stage.
“I’m over the moon,” Pooley said. “I just realized in the final kilometers that I could have won.”
“The initial breakaway that involved my teammate Katarzyna Niewiadoma helped us a lot,” Vos said. “Emma Pooley then made the gap and was simply the strongest. She deserves the victory today.”
Tomorrow’s stage 7 runs from Aprica to Chiavenna, including a 5.4km climb at about 8 percent and a long uphill drag to the finish in Chiavenna.
Stage 6 Results:
1. Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) 3:05:46
2. Anna van der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv) at 15 seconds
3. Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv) s.t.
4. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot (Orica-AIS)
5. Claudia Hausler (Giant-Shimano)
1. Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv)
2. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot (Rabobank-Liv) at 45 seconds
3. Elisa Longo Borghini (Hitec Products) at 53 seconds
4. Anna van der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv) a 2:12
5. Claudia Hausler (Giant-Shimano) a 2:17