American Mara Abbott moved into fourth overall, 1:39 behind Marianne Vos
Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) took her second victory in the 2014 Giro Rosa, winning stage 8, the race’s 90.3 kilometer queen stage from Verbania to San Domenico di Varzo.
“I’m over the moon. At the beginning of the race I didn’t feel that good, but in the end I realized I could make it, and I managed to win again. I didn’t really expect it. Tomorrow the climb is tough, and I’ll give my best,” said Pooley.
With five kilometers to go, a group of seven riders rode off the front. That group included race leader Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv), Pauline Ferrand Prevot (Rabobank-Liv), Anna van der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv), Elisa Longo Borghini (Orica-AIS), Pooley, Megan Guarnier (Boels-Dolmans), and Mara Abbott (UnitedHealthcare).
In the final kilometer, Abbott and Pooley attacked the group. Pooley edged the American to win by five seconds.
At the finish, Abbott said, “I’m very happy for my second place. I am aiming to win this Giro, so today’s second place is a first step toward it.”
Pooley extended her lead in the mountain classification with her strong ride on stage 8.
Abbott’s performance advanced her to fourth overall, 1:39 behind Vos.
The race concludes with Sunday’s stage, which starts in Trezzo sull’Adda and finishes on the legendary Madonna del Ghisallo pass, an 8km climb.
1. Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) 2:32:49, average speed: 34.5kph
2. Mara Abbott (UnitedHealthcare) at 0:05
3. Anna Van Der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv) at 0:29
4. Pauline Ferrand Prevot (Rabobank-Liv) at 0:53
5. Megan Guarnier (Boels-Dolmans) at 1:27
1. Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv)
2. Pauline Ferrand Prevot (Rabobank-Liv) at 0:16
3. Anna van der Breggen (Rabobank-Liv) at 1:17
4. Mara Abbott (Unitedhealthcare) at 1:39
5. Elisa Longo Borghini (Hitec Products) at 1:46