Giro organizers angered by Contador decision delay
ROME, Italy (AFP) — Organizers of the Giro d’Italia lashed out Wednesday against the time taken to reach a decision on two-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador’s doping charge.
Contador has been stripped of last year’s Giro win, with Michele Scarponi crowned in his place, due to the Spaniard’s back-dated two-year doping ban for testing positive for clenbuterol, which was handed down on Tuesday following an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
In a statement, RCS, the company that runs the Giro d’Italia, said it regretted the time taken to reach a decision. Contador failed a test during the 2010 Tour de France.
“The time taken to arrive at a final decision, a long period after the affair, has affected events such as the Giro,” said RCS’s statement. “We hope that in the future the judicial process will ensure that the Giro does not face an equivalent situation, which shows a lack of respect for the fans, riders and participants in this race.”
Contador was also stripped of the 2010 Tour de France title he won ahead of Luxembourg’s Andy Schleck, who has been awarded the victory in his place.