Ruling on ‘Caso Contador’ delayed another week
A decision in the long-running doping case of Alberto Contador has been delayed yet again, this time for another week, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said on Monday.
“(CAS) intends to publish its decision in the arbitration procedure involving the (UCI), (WADA), Alberto Contador and the Spanish cycling federation on Monday 6 February 2012,” CAS said in a statement posted Monday on its web site.
“A confirmation as to the date and time of the publication of the decision will be given by the CAS at the end of this week.”
Contador’s four-day arbitration hearing was held in late November, but CAS delayed a decision earlier this month, citing media speculation over alleged problems with the procedure of the case. All parties denied all allegations.
CAS had promised a decision this week, which opened the door for Contador to race the Tour de San Luis last week in Argentina, where he won two mountain stages, finished second overall to Levi Leipheimer.
Contador told the Spanish daily MARCA he would not comment on his long-running clenbuterol case until a decision is released.
Contador faces up to a two-year ban and the loss of his 2010 Tour title if CAS rules against him. He could also lose results gained during the 2011 season as well as face a stiff fine.
If cleared, however, he can continue racing immediately.
Contador claims traces of clenbuterol entered his system after dining on contaminated beef brought to France from Spain. WADA pushed hard with its argument that the banned anabolic entered his system following an illegal blood transfusion.