Tour de Suisse organizers reveal 2012 route
SCHAFFHAUSEN, Switzerland, June 19, 2011 (AFP) – Tour de Suisse organizers announced the route for the 2012 edition of the race on Sunday.
The race will start June 9 in Lugano although it was not confirmed whether the opening stage would, as in the past two previous editions, be a time trial. The 76th edition will feature three days in the high mountains, on stages two, eight and nine when the race finishes in Sorenberg.
Stage seven will be a time trial around Gossau near Zurich although neither the length of the race against the clock or the route was revealed.
The 2011 edition of the nine-day race, which included four days in the high mountains to honor the 75th edition, finishes here Sunday with a 32.1 km time trial.
Italian Damiano Cunego holds the race lead although the Lampre all-rounder, not a reputed time triallist, could lose his yellow jersey to any one of a handful of riders behind him in the general classification.
Tour of Switzerland 2012 stages
- June 9: Lugano to Lugano
- June 10: Verbania (Italy) to Verbier
- June 11: Martigny to Aarberg
- June 12: Aarberg to Trimbach/Olten
- June 13: Olten/Trimbach to Kanton Aargau
- June 14: Kanton Aargau to Bischofszell
- June 15: Gossau to Gossau
- June 16: Bischofszell to Arosa
- June 17: Naefels/Lintharena to Sorenberg