No Giro for Evans: It’s all about the Tour
By Agence France Presse
Australian cyclist Cadel Evans announced on Monday that he would not compete in the Giro d’Italia this season because he was determined to win the Tour de France in July.
The 31-year-old, who was second in last year’s Tour, explained that while he would have liked to compete in the Giro it simply did not fit into his plans as he prepares to take on Alberto Contador and seven-time winner Lance Armstrong.
“There has been a lot of talk about the Giro in the press,” said the Silence team leader.
“I have for a long time doubted that I would compete in the Giro. And I have finally decided not to race in the Giro.
“It is not that I don’t want to compete in the Giro, but I simply want to be as well prepared as possible for the Grande Boucle (the Tour de France).
“And the Tour of Italy does not fit into that program.”
In December, Evans’ team announced that he would do the Giro, and days later Evans said it was unlikely.